Senior Pensions Executive
Nigel joined Pegasus in August 2021 as a Senior Pensions Executive based in Manchester. He brings over 20 years of experience, initially as an actuary and latterly as Pensions Manager of the Manchester Airports Group.
In his role as Senior Pensions Executive Nigel will support trustees, in-house pension teams and scheme sponsors in delivering best-practice governance through innovative solutions.
Nigel’s actuarial experience gained at KPMG, First Actuarial and Xafinity (amongst others) combined with 8 years in-house means he has a deep understanding of workplace pensions and expertise across the trustee and corporate landscape.
Major projects delivered by Nigel during his time in-house include:
- Acting as lead during the closure of three DB schemes to future pension accrual.
- DC Mastertrust: Selected and implemented Legal & General’s Mastertrust as MAG’s future DC vehicle;
- DC bulk transfer: Planned and delivered a bulk transfer from the previous DC scheme to the L&G Mastertrust;
- Auto-Enrolment: Implemented AE in 2013 across 2 sites and October 2016 for the final site with no significant issues;
- DC employee take up: Doubled member take-up of DC scheme from c. 30% to 60% within 12 months by improving written communication and holding various member surgeries and walkabouts across sites;
- DB benefit changes: Implemented significant DB benefit change at Stansted Airport;
- DB funding negotiations: Successful outcomes from funding negotiations between trustees and corporate finances for all schemes;
- Raised engagement with pensions generally, by participating in regular site visits, walkabouts and pensions surgeries. This has also improved the credibility of pensions and has helped me gain a real understanding of the needs of our employees in terms of pension provision.
Nigel is a Fellow of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries and holds a BSc (econ) from The University of Salford
Sankar Mahalingham, Head of Pegasus, said: “I am delighted to welcome Nigel to the business to deliver on the increasingly complex solutions required by our clients. His extensive DC and DB experience as Pensions Manager combined with his actuarial background are sure to being huge value to clients looking for outsourced support for their schemes and wanting to get ahead of increasing regulation.”