Areas of expertise
Kathy has over 20 years’ experience in the pensions industry working mostly with DB schemes but with DC becoming increasingly a feature, having performed roles in third-party admin, consultancy and in-house environments.
Facilitating effective trustee decision-making and helping trustees get the most out of relationships with advisers and service providers (in a trustee secretarial capacity) has been a common thread running throughout her career across a variety of DB, DC and hybrid appointments.
She was responsible, for a number of years, for maintaining the quality framework for a leading third-party pension administration business. This involved interpreting how new legislation impacted existing administration routines and redesigning procedures, communications, systems and training to address changes.
Kathy’s mix of in-depth technical knowledge with a strong practical focus has helped produce effective, joined-up solutions for managing the risks presented by the continuous changes that the pensions industry has experienced.
Kathy has helped trustees to respond to the increased focus on effective trustee governance in a number of areas including:
- translating legislative requirements and pensions jargon into clear guidance and practical action plans for trustees, pension managers and admin teams, and plain English explanations for pension scheme members
- developing a robust and comprehensive approach to carrying out assessments of DC schemes against the standards expected in TPR’s DC Code (minimum requirements and best-practice approaches) and for assessing value-for-members
- improving and refocusing the operational risk management process, ensuring that it is complementary to (but does not duplicate) other risk management tools such as the IRM framework (DB) or DC Code assessment framework
- developing and implementing a trustee action plan and toolkit for achieving GDPR compliance, including documenting the trustee policy
- facilitating trustee and employer working groups to set employee and member communications strategies and drafting member communications make pensions more accessible e.g. about pension freedoms, DC investment strategy
- devising adviser/supplier review frameworks, trustee effectiveness questionnaires and trustee training materials
- overseeing the establishment of interfaces and data flows for retirement advice/guidance services
- Scheme secretarial duties to a £125 million+ closed DB scheme and the executive DC top-up scheme
- Supporting trustee governance activities across a range of Law Debenture trustee appointments
Professional roles and responsibilities
- Fellow of the Pensions Management Institute