What our clients say
Areas of expertise
Michael represents Law Debenture on 8 schemes whose assets range in size from £100 million to £10 billion – including final salary, career average and defined contribution arrangements. He is chairman on five appointments and sole trustee on two.
Michael’s actuarial background supports his in-depth understanding of pension technicalities. He applies this knowledge to support stakeholders to deliver the best outcomes by simplifying complexities and applying them practically.
Michael joined the firm in 2010 and manages the pensions practice.
- Negotiated and agreed formal framework agreements designed to remove funding deficits for 3 schemes; including automatic triggers that deal with eventualities where there is a change to sponsor covenant or to investment outlook
- Challenged investment consultants to refine and develop investment strategies to increase investment efficiency by better matching scheme liabilities, widening the drivers of investment returns and having greater focus on the timing of cashflows
- Improved scheme governance through a review of subcommittee structures and mandates and by adding company representation to improve collaboration
- Negotiated full buy out of all scheme liabilities within 1 year of appointment as sole trustee and at a cost below that committed by the employer to fund the pension benefits
- Agreed numerous outsourced administration arrangements including provision for TUPE transfers, data security and all with a focus on paying scheme members benefits
Michael in the news
Professional roles and qualifications
- Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries
- MA Physics, Oxford University
- Past member of the SPP and AIMSE Advisory Councils